Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wonderful Word Count!

Yesterday, I had an awesome day writing. I sat in my living room with music on the satellite and wrote in my little notebook. It was just me, a pen and the paper. And my imagination.

Oh, and the cats, who thought it was very, very odd I was sitting in THEIR chair. But eventually seating arrangements all got sorted out and we were all happy.

I wrote for about 2 hours sitting there, which went by a lot faster than I thought it would.

Then, later, I tried to transcribe what I'd written onto my computer. (cue music) Duh-duh-duh...

If you may recall, I have a small attention span problem and am easily distracted.

I got about 3/4 of it done, and then I was off in virtual la-la land - chat (which, ironically enough, was supposed to encourage me to type more), ebay, facebook, forums... the list goes on.

Still, my wordcount got bumped by 1,000 words, and I can't complain about that!

Here's a little info about my WIP:


It's an erotic short called Touch (so far), and it's about a woman who craves physical connections with people. She finds sex particularly satisfying to her need to be touched, but has a hard time finding men who aren't all about groping. Tired of not getting what she needs, she accepts an invitation to explore her carnal side for one night only - in the dark, and with a stranger.

The man she's paired with is just coming back from a heartbreak and is pushed into accepting the invitation by his buddy. Still, he's ready to get over it, and have a night of fun with no strings attached.

They, of course, have lots of naughty, dirty sex.


So far, it's been a lot of fun to write, and I am not allowing myself to go back and edit before I get the whole thing drafted. This is tough for me. I'm very much into instant gratification (it's all about results) so the temptation to go back and polish this baby up in certain parts is very, very hard to resist.

So, I think this is why writing in my notebook and then transcribing is working so well this time around. I write draft crap, and then as I type it out, I get to embellish, cut or do some switching without getting into an in-depth edit. It's keeping me happy :)

I'm just over halfway from my target word count. Now that I've reached the top of the hill and am on the downward slope, I hope that things roll along a little faster, because I'm anxious to get it to the awesome gal who's agreed to read it!

Tonight, after I get some other stuff done, I'll pick up my pen again and see where it takes me. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment